Site-Specific shows in Fringe are not selected by lottery. Fringe staff will screen applicants for eligibility and a limit of 15 shows will be accepted first come, first-served.
Site-Specific shows are accepted in a 2-step process:
1) Fringe staff will screen applicants for eligibility, based on the criteria below.
2) Applicants will have until March 7, 2014 to secure their location and submit payment to Fringe, and - only at that point - are applicants eligible to take one of the 15 slots in a first-come, first-served manner.
Applications will close on March 7, 2014 or when 15 shows have been deemed eligible and have secured their performance venue.
Site Specific Guidelines
- Site-Specific Art is created to exist in a certain place.
- Site-Specific Art is a performance that couldn't take place in a traditional theatre.
- Site-Specific Art animates an unexpected location with performance.
- Site-Specific Art challenges our view of spaces and places.
What ISN'T eligible in this category?
- Shows that should/could be performed in our regular venues.
- Shows that use the category to bypass the lottery.
- Shows at another venue hub (more than one show at a single Site) that don't use the space uniquely.
What are the rules?
- Shows must be within the following geographic area: Dupont St. to the North, Adelaide St. to the South, University Ave. to the East and Crawford St. to the West. Applications outside these boundaries will only be considered under very special circumstances.
- To receive a Site-Specific Art Application, you must pre-qualify by filling in a short form, that answers:
- Where your proposed production would take place?
- Why your production has to be there and how it will use the space (see criteria above)?
- Describe the audience experience - how this site shapes and informs the audience and their experience in a way that a traditional theatre space will not
- How you plan to secure the site (sites do not need to be fully confirmed prior to pre-qualification)
- Your contact info (name and phone number)
- The participation fee will be calculated on a total capacity basis (venues with capacity of less than 50/performance can discuss multiple daily showings and/or lower participation fees).
- Once pre-qualified, all Fringe rules apply and you will be sent the full application and payment information.
- Applicants to the regular lottery cannot apply to the Site Specific category until after the lottery, and then only if they were not already drawn into the Festival.